An illustrator is an artist who combines 2D art, design and digital dexterity to develop an idea and eventually produce original content for an animation. An illustrator has to be flexible with their designs, and be able to adapt their work to the feedback a client gives them. Consequently, an illustrator needs to have good communication skills in order to get a feel for what a client wants during a particular job.
Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of media and techniques.
- Use materials such as pens and ink, watercolors, charcoal, oil, or computer software to create artwork.
- Integrate and develop visual elements, such as line, space, mass, color, and perspective, to produce desired effects, such as the illustration of ideas, emotions, or moods.
- Confer with clients, editors, writers, art directors, and other interested parties regarding the nature and content of artwork to be produced.
- Maintain portfolios of artistic work to demonstrate styles, interests, and abilities.
- Market artwork through brochures, mailings, or Web sites.
- Design — Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and
- Computers and Electronics — Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing — Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Fine Arts — Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk 3D Studio Design; Autodesk AutoCAD; Dassault Systemes CATIA; Trimble SketchUp Pro
- Data base user interface and query software — ArtScope.net eArtist; Camp Software Art Licensing Manager; FileMaker Bento;
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Creative Cloud Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator; Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop SmugMug Flickr
- Instant messaging software — GroupMe; Twitter
- Object or component oriented development software